Graduation Day Tips
Always arrive at the gown hire desk before gowning opens, even if your family can’t join you at that time. This way you have plenty of time to park, find the building or area of the campus and where the graduation is taking place, and collect your academic apparel.
Have your photos taken BEFORE the ceremony
Graduates and family often think that they have to wait until they have their Degree / Diploma Scroll for photographs, this is not the case…. We have fake scrolls for the purposes of official Graduation photography.
The official photographer’s photo booths are open almost two hours prior to the Graduation and after the Graduation ceremony, until the last Graduate in the queue.
- Collect your Academic Apparel (ensure you carry your Identity document / proof of ID).
- Visit the Photography admin desk and order your photography packages, complete order forms, make payment.
- Have your photos taken. If your family isn’t coming until later, you can have your individual photos taken before the ceremony, then come back afterwards for as many photos as you like with your family and friends. (Remember, all posed studio photographs are compulsory to be purchased at the advertised price and the validity of stipulated price, which is SIX MONTHS FROM THE DATE OF YOUR GRADUATION.
- Find your seat at the ceremony early. You generally need to be seated at least 30 minutes before the ceremony starting time, depending on your institution. The photo booths are closed while the ceremony is in progress. The institution does not allow photography at this time and Graduates / Parents are not allowed to leave the Graduation auditorium.
Dress for a formal occasion
For The Ladies:
- We suggest neat corporate-style attire, such as a skirt and collared shirt or dress.
- Some graduates choose to coordinate their clothing or accessories to the color of their hood, which looks great in photos.
- High heels look beautiful but can get uncomfortable after many hours on your feet. Consider wearing low-heeled or flat shoes, and swap them for higher heels for the photographs.
- GRADUATES WITH LONG HAIR, PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOUR HAIR DOES NOT FALL ON /OVER YOUR FACE WHEN YOU BOW TO THE CHANCELLOR, THIS MAKES FOR A TERIBLE PHOTOGRAPH. ALWAYS CLIP YOUR HAIR BEHIND THE EAR AND THEN, BOW AND LOOK UP TO THE CHANCELLOR.
For The Men:
- We suggest a jacket, a tie, collared shirt, slacks and polished shoes.
For family members:
- Ensure that you tell your family that you are planning to have photos taken together so they can dress accordingly.
- Coordinated colors or accessorized garments always look fantastic in the pictures.
- Make sure Dad wears a suit and tie.
- Suggest to your Mum that she dresses as if she were attending a wedding. Inform your family that their footwear will be visible in the photos so they can dress accordingly.
- If you have traditional or culturally significant clothing or accessories you are welcome to wear it for your photographs.
Tips for the perfect picture!
Your graduation is the culmination of years of hard work, commitment and sacrifice. Make sure you relax and enjoy the day surrounded by your family, friends and fellow graduates.